Alugha goes Russia
We quote Tolstoy because we also speak Russian!
“The only purpose of education is freedom; the only method is experience.” Have you ever heard this quote? Да, нет, может быть - yes, no, maybe? As you can guess from the Cyrillic letters, the quote is in Russian and it is from one of the most famous authors of all time: Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy. Everyone has heard of him, or at least of his language, thanks to him. But why are we writing about it? Exactly! From now on, alugha also speaks Russian, and we publish worldwide free multilingual educational videos of successful video producers from all fields. But first some facts about the mother tongue of Juri Gagarin, Michail Gorbachev and Anna Kournikova:
- Worldwide, 275 million people speak Russian. 165 million are native speakers and 110 million are second language speakers.
- Russian is the 7th most spoken language in the world.
- Russian is spoken in 17 countries and it is the official language of Russia, Belarus and Kyrgyzstan.
- Russian is also an official language of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Moldova, Gagauzia, Transnistria, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, United Nations and CIS.
- The Russian alphabet comes from the Cyrillic alphabet and it consists of 33 letters, 10 vowels and 23 consonants.
- The language can be divided into three big “dialects”: Northern Russian, Central Russian and Southern Russian.
- Ukrainian and Belarusian are related to Russian.
- Russian took many words from German, partly because Tsar Peter the Great mastered the German language.
Globally, Russian is without a doubt one of the most important languages. Not only the number of speakers, poets and writers but also economic factors such as the communication in politics, science, tourism and culture contributed to spreading the language.
Russia is a very big and impressive country. Our task is to overcome the language barrier and spread education. We hope to make a contribution to free education in Russia, too.
We have translated, dubbed and made available for free 100 videos of popular YouTubers such as MinutePhysics, KhanAcademy, TED-Ed, ASAPScience and many more. You can find our videos on VK!
Join us! If you find an interesting educational video in English, Spanish, German, Portuguese or French, you can post a link below this article and maybe we will “multilingualize” it. If you want to publish your own Russian videos with multiple languages then contact us, we will gladly support you.
We are looking forward to having you join us! EDUCATION is POWER! Only those who “KNOW” can UNDERSTAND!
Stay tuned! Our next language journey will be to Asia!